Walker Funeral Service has remained a family business for over 70 years. Walker first opened in 1939 as Thorton Funeral Home. Later, it was purchased by the Roesch family, renamed Roesch Funeral Chapel, and in 1951 moved to 400 N. Broadway. The Roesch family operated the chapel until 1971, when it was purchased by the Walker family, and renamed Roesch-Walker Funeral Chapel. In the mid-90's the Walkers realized they were out-growing their location. So, they began to make plans to build a new funeral home.
In 2002, all of the planning finally came together. The new facility opened in December at the corner of 45th and Union. Along with the move came a new name. The funeral home was renamed Walker Funeral Service.